Welcome to our blog of spooky crafts and macabre decor projects. Halloween is a passion at our house and the two of us have been making our own decorations and costumes for years. Every Halloween we throw a huge party and our goal is always how scary can we make it without breaking the bank. Over time, more and more of our projects have made it into our daily home decor. This blog will show you how we made many of our finished pieces and how we kept up with our budget at the same time. We love feedback and questions so please feel free to contact us.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Paper Bats

I originally saw a great photo of felt bats pasted on to an exterior door on countryliving.com (via pinterest.com) and wanted to do it.  I decided that I had so much scrapbook paper however, that mine would be paper.  This also meant they had to move inside.  Then I found this, she was also inspired by Country Living but wanted to use paper.  Her bats look great flying through the dining room and I have a great dining room for it too so I started cutting bats.  You can use the template from her web site, she links to the Country Living Template, and print it out then re-size it on your scanner so you have a couple different sizes. 

I have tons of scrapbook paper so I just dug out some Halloween colors, patterns I thought would look like bats and things I liked.

I folded the paper in half with the back showing so I could trace my multiple templates.  
 I found it was easiest to draw several on the page and then cut them all out.
Once cut out, you can unfold them and you have easy bats.  You can do this freehand if you would prefer to give them more character.  Use the scraps you have for smaller templates and/or freehand small bats.  (I have to say that my freehand bats were pretty hilarious to everyone else while we were hanging them up)

Do this as many times as you want, unfold and admire your bats.  We used lots of graphic patterns instead of just black.  We also used shades of brown, maroon, grey, green and orange.


We let them swarm towards a vent in the dining room so they flap in the 'wind' a little.
We ended up with tons of them so they flew all around the room.

If you look at the top of the doorway here, you can see that my clever little brother put a couple hanging upside down like they hadn't flown off yet.


Some stragglers flew around the room and perched on the light switch....

the fan cord....
even on Justine's face!  lol


I love the way this project turned out.  =)


liz

No comments:

Post a Comment