Welcome to our blog of spooky crafts and macabre decor projects. Halloween is a passion at our house and the two of us have been making our own decorations and costumes for years. Every Halloween we throw a huge party and our goal is always how scary can we make it without breaking the bank. Over time, more and more of our projects have made it into our daily home decor. This blog will show you how we made many of our finished pieces and how we kept up with our budget at the same time. We love feedback and questions so please feel free to contact us.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Creepy Party Food

We are fast approaching party day and working on the list of munchies for the occasion.  Here are a couple recipe we plan to use this year:
Petrified Cheese Log
This turned out looking super creepy and tasting really delicious.  I'm a huge bleu cheese fan so I devoured this simple recipe.  It can be made a couple of days in advance too, which is a bonus for me.
Texas Lizard Eggs
We make these for nearly every party we have because they are so requested.  We did modify the recipe last year to make it a little easier on us and we didn't find any difference in the quality.  This recipe calls for you to clean out peppers, slice them in half, fill them with cream cheese and wrap them in sausage then bake.  We found that this was very time consuming for a dish that is literally gone within 20 minutes of putting it out.  Last year we sped through the prep time by dicing the jalapenos and folding them into the sausage and cream cheese together and roll them into little meatballs.  This took much less time.  We cooked them in mini muffin pans so they were easy to take out and did not stay greasy.
Buffalo Chicken Dip
This was introduced to me by a good friend HB and we can't get enough of it.  I laughed when her husband just ate that for dinner with chips or bread, but once we made some of our own I have to agree that may have happened at our house.  This is easy and delicious and can be prepped early.
Spinach Artichoke Phyllo Cups
This recipe is one I found that is similar to something I whipped up last year when I felt like we were missing something.  I had all of the ingredients except the phyllo cups in my kitchen so it was simple to do.  I made mine with cream cheese instead of mayo so it was thicker.  Bite sized pieces you can carry around or easily put on a plate are always great party food.
Cookie Bowls
This is something new for this year but I found it on Pinterest.com (if I have not expressed how completely awesome and addicting this web site is, I am sorry) and just could not pass it up.  I think these are really neat.  I plan to make chocolates and put a few in each bowl.
Severed Finger Cookies
Another new recipe this year, sent to me again in Pinterest.com.  I really think it looks cool and should be fairly easy.  I plan on making the cookies a few days in advance and dipping the ends in the jam just before I put them on the platter.  Oh!  I also plan on using jalapeno raspberry jam cause I think that little kick will be fun.

I have a few other things on the list that don't need recipe posts:
cupcakes decorated like monsters and graveyards
raspberry lemonade
blue corn chips (they look black) and salsa
pigs in a blanket (wrapped like mummies)
chocolate covered pretzels
jello shots
various veggies chopped up

I will post some more about jello shots because these are Halloween legend around our place.

liz

No comments:

Post a Comment